The sisters Agnes Lewis (1843-1926) and Margaret Gibson (1843-1920) were pioneering biblical scholars who became experts in a number of ancient languages. Travelling widely in the Middle East, they made several significant discoveries, including one of the earliest manuscripts of the Four Gospels in Syriac, a dialect of Aramaic, the language probably spoken by Jesus himself. Their chief discoveries were made in the Monastery of St Catherine on Mount Sinai. This work is based on a manuscript discovered in the monastery in 1895 and first published in 1896. Originally published as part of the Studia Sinaitica, this fascicule comprises Arabic and Syriac texts of various apocryphal stories edited and translated by Margaret Gibson. The first part of the text contains the 'Anaphora Pilati', the story of the aftermath of Pontius Pilate's decision to crucify Jesus. Also included are the Clementine Recognitions and the Martyrdom of James and Simon.